02 May 2007

Thursday Thirteen #8 - Paintings

13 Painting by John W Waterhouse.

Yes, bit of an odd one this week, but I do love his work.


Thirteen Things about Kim Rees
1….

The Sorceress ~ 1913. I'm co-founder of a group of writers called the Daughters of Circe. This image forms a part of our logo. And I really would love to have hair that colour!

2... The Magic Circle ~ 1886. I just want to write a story around this one. The beautiful dressed sorcerer with her wild hair, chickens and crows *grin*

3... Dolce Far Niente ~ 1880. It means 'It's sweet doing nothing', which is perfect for this blog, LOL. It's also posted on the Daughters of Circe blog as a part of May Madness

4...


Ulysses and the Sirens ~ 1891. Have to admit, I've always been obsessed about Greek myths since I was very small and constantly read Enid Blyton's take on it, LOL

5...

The Siren ~ 1900. She looks so graceful sitting on that outcrop of very jagged rock... LOL I could still stare at it for a good long while though, just for her skin and the silver glint of her tail. *grin*

6...

The Crystal Ball (with Skull) ~ 1902. The feel of the fabric, the way he's painted the tiles... *sigh* Even the skull is cool, LOL

7...

A Tale from the Decameron ~1916. I like the girl on the far left. Yadda, Yadda, heard it all before *smirk*

8...

Consulting the Oracle ~ 1882 I originally started looking at Waterhouse again this week because of this painting. I was hunting for images of Delpi and this popped up.

9...

La Belle Dame Sans Merci ~1893. I studied Keats at college. Much prefer looking at this painting though... though just reading the poem again, it actually gave me chills, LOL

10...

Boreas ~ 1902. I could happily stare at this one all day. I love the colours and the incredible folds of that slate blue material.

11...

Hylas and the Nymphs ~1896. This has what I've always loved about Waterhouse since I first saw his painting: the incredible luminscience of his subjects' skin.

12...

The Danaides ~ 1903. Second most favourite painting. Not a very pleasant myth... but if you have to pour water endlessly, then pouring it with those jars wouldn't be so bad ;-)

13...

Miranda - The Tempest ~ 1916. Absolutely most favourite painting. I love his redheads, LOL
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



Labels:

posted by Kim Knox at 10:15 am

34 Comments:

This comment has been removed by the author.

Wednesday, 02 May, 2007  

I really liked the paintings,i would love someone to paint me like one of them.
I am also a fan of Greek myths and Enid Blyton :)

Wednesday, 02 May, 2007  

Beautiful!!! You are going to make me a fan!

Mines up, has to do with the scavenger hunt on my blog

Wednesday, 02 May, 2007  

great artwork. I especially like that last one.

Wednesday, 02 May, 2007  

Hylas and the Nymphs has always been a favourite of mine. Pretty list!

Wednesday, 02 May, 2007  

The blues in Boreas are just so good. Great that it reappeared after being missing for so long too.

Wednesday, 02 May, 2007  

I love Waterhouse! My favourite painting is The Lady of Shalott (on boat), but he has made so many beauties...

My TT lists the 13 goals of a witch, with my thoughts on them.

Wednesday, 02 May, 2007  

Wow, those were nice. I love when someone does something a little different like this

Thursday, 03 May, 2007  

Wow, Kim, that is one painter I could really dig. You've managed to get my mind churning tonight; thanks! I love being inspired.

Happy TT!

Thursday, 03 May, 2007  

It's a toss up between #2 and #13...but I'm also partial to redheads :-)

Thursday, 03 May, 2007  

you're so right about #13. not to be compared at all, but my grandmother painted a similar painting for me that's hanging above my bed. there's something somber and meditative about it. also love the crystal ball painting. great list! thanks for sharing!

Thursday, 03 May, 2007  

Wonderful TT! I love the one with the nymphs.

Thursday, 03 May, 2007  

I can see why you like these paintings so much. #6 is amazing!

Thursday, 03 May, 2007  

I'm only familiar with a couple of these paintings - I guess I should have paid more attention during Art History back in college - but they're all beautiful. And I wish I had that hair color too. :-)

Thursday, 03 May, 2007  

I love Waterhouse as well. I love Miranda.

Thursday, 03 May, 2007  

I loved these, I hadn't seen any before, thanks for putting them together.

Thursday, 03 May, 2007  

Thank you! I love his stuff, too, (esp. La Belle Dame Sans Merci) but I always forget to include him when I'm making a list of my favorite artists.

Thursday, 03 May, 2007  

Just gorgeous...I adore Waterhouse, but I think my favorite is probably "The Lady of Shalott"---such melancholy and I love the greens and golds. I was thrilled to see some I'm not familiar with...I must spend more time studying for them; they are magnificent.

Thursday, 03 May, 2007  

Love all thosepaintings...

Thursday, 03 May, 2007  

I love Boreas. And the Miranda and the Tempest one.

Happy T13

Thursday, 03 May, 2007  

I know everyone of those paintings and love them all. Two I even have hanging in my house.

Thursday, 03 May, 2007  

GReat pics Kim. They are uite inspiring and I do need to write :)

Thursday, 03 May, 2007  

and i can't spell or type

Thursday, 03 May, 2007  

Those were some lovely paintings!

Thursday, 03 May, 2007  

Great pictures,

Thursday, 03 May, 2007  

Wow those are gorgeous! I think I may have to add him to my list of favorite painters!

Thursday, 03 May, 2007  

Great post! I LOVE the images, thank you so much for sharing them. :)

Thursday, 03 May, 2007  

Loved this TT post, Kim. I'm a big Waterhouse fan. His work is so beautiful, softly striking and wistful.

Thursday, 03 May, 2007  

I'd never seen any of these, but I really liked seeing them. I'm getting into mythology so many of these paintings really appeal to me.

Thursday, 03 May, 2007  

#'s 10 & 13 are my favorite. Great TT.

Come check mine out.

Thursday, 03 May, 2007  

I just realized how much I enjoy visiting on WW and TT that I gave you the ol bookmark. Just wonderful works of art. Thank you so much for sharing.

Be well and enjoy the day

Thursday, 03 May, 2007  

#s 1, 6, 9, 10 and 13 are so beautiful!!! Excellent masterpieces!

Happy Thursday!

Thursday, 03 May, 2007  

You posted some of my favorite paintings! :D

Friday, 04 May, 2007  

I absolutely love art and these pieces are some of the best. :o)

Friday, 04 May, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home